The four principals of Elite Properties are Amerigo Checchio, Senior Principal; Tom Powers, Master Builder; Michael Checchio, Project Engineer; and David Checchio, Esq., In-house Counsel. We are a family-owned real estate development company based in central New Jersey. Amerigo Checchio and Tom Powers have been building in central New Jersey for over 40 years and are proud and protective of the reputations they have forged during their award-winning careers.
Because of our size, a form of ownership and absolute control we are strong enough to deliver on our promises and flexible enough meet the needs of communities.
We have significant experience navigating the many challenges of redevelopment.
1. PUBLIC-PRIVATE PARTNERSHIP We approach redevelopment as a partnership with a municipality. Our goal is to unlock community visions for sites. We have successfully accomplished this time and again in other towns. We are currently designated as a redeveloper in the municipalities of Fanwood, Maplewood, Berkeley Heights, and Warren Township. The results of our work can be viewed online at Maplewood Crossing (www.maplewoodcrossing.com  ), Fanwood Crossing (www.fanwoodcrossing.com  ) and Warren Crossing (www.warrencrossing.com  ). Elite has never “flipped” or otherwise sold any projects. Our partnerships are long-term investments in the community. We are proud of our status as valued corporate citizens and taxpayers in the municipalities where we invest.
2.ENVIRONMENTAL REGULATIONS We have a keen understanding of the regulations promulgated by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and a strong track record of success navigating these regulations to the benefit of all stakeholders – Elite Properties, the municipality and the DEP.
3. AFFORDABLE HOUSING Complying with COAHs income certification requirements and pro-actively addressing municipality’s affordable housing needs can be a costly enterprise fraught with legal pitfalls. Elite Properties has successfully incorporated affordable units into its luxury communities in Maplewood, Fanwood, and Berkeley Heights. Our experience building, leasing and managing these units will ensure that municipalities receive full credit for each unit and that the needs of the community are met.
4. MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT On its surface, the construction of a the mixed-use building may not seem like an obvious challenge. Nevertheless, it can be a nightmare for an inexperienced builder and lead to problems within a municipality. A luxury residential tenant will have discriminating tastes and needs which are often at odds with the needs of retailers. Our thoughtful site and building plans are intentionally designed to minimize these conflicts and address the needs of both our retail and residential tenants.
5. SITE ACQUISITION & ASSEMBLY Elite Properties has decades of experience in negotiating with landowners. These sellers can often be unwilling or intractable. We make every effort to put forth a the project which will allow Elite to acquire and assemble them necessary parcels without public intervention.
The following is a brief introduction to the development and management
team. Each member of the Elite Properties team is involved in the day-to-day operation and supervision of our Projects. Elite Properties act as general contractor on each of its projects and Amerigo Checchio, Thomas Powers, David Checchio, Mike Checchio and Susan Powers will all personally bring their expertise to this project.
6. AMERIGO CHECCHIO, PRINCIPAL
Amerigo Checchio is the co-founder of Elite Properties along with Tom Powers. With over 40 years of experience as a real estate developer and builder, Amerigo Checchio is not only the senior member of the
Elite team but is one of the most successful and accomplished developers in central New Jersey. Born in Italy, Amerigo has lived in the United States for over 50 years and is a proud citizen. He graduated from the University of Bridgeport with a degree in economics. The secret to his success is his unique ability to blend
the stout work ethic he carried over from Italy with his incisive leadership and a near-prescient understanding of the real estate market.
7. THOMAS R. POWERS, PRINCIPAL
Tom Powers is locally renowned for his award-winning luxury homes. A self-made man, Tom graduated from Cornell University in 1984 with degrees in engineering and business. Upon returning to New Jersey, he immediately started his first home building company in Somerset County. In the twenty years since Tom has built and sold over 150 luxury custom homes, both individually and as part of Elite Properties. Tom has been featured on the cover of Builder/Architect Magazine. He has served as President, Vice President and Director of the New Jersey Builders’ Association affiliate in Somerset, Hunterdon and Morris Counties. Tom’s homes have been recognized for their excellence by his peers and other real estate professionals on
numerous occasions: 1994 Single Family Home of the Year $500,000-$750,000; 1995 Single Family Home of the Year
$500,000-$750,000; 1996 Single Family Home of the Year $500,000-$750,000; 1999 Single Family Home of the Year $1 Million; 1999 Single Family Home of the Year $2 Million; 2000 Single Family Home of the Year; 2002 Single Family Home of the Year $1 – $1.5 Million. Tom has also been recognized by PSE&G and other utilities
for his commitment to energy efficiency.
8. DAVID A. CHECCHIO, ESQ., IN-HOUSE COUNSEL
After graduating from the University of Virginia with a Bachelor of Science, David received a Juris Doctor from Cornell Law School. Prior to joining Elite Properties, he was an associate at the law firm of McCarter & English. He is admitted to practice in New Jersey, New York, the U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, and the U.S. District Courts, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York. Dave
is a member of the New Jersey Bar Association.
9. MICHAEL J. CHECCHIO, PROJECT MANAGER
Mike has a Bachelor of Science in civil engineering from the The University of Virginia where he was a member of the Engineering Honor Society, Chi Epsilon. Mike “cut his teeth” in the construction the industry as a Project Engineer for the national general contractor, the Whiting-Turner Contracting Company. Since joining Elite Properties, Mike has supervised the construction of residential single-family and multi-family buildings as well as retail and office space. Mike received the 2007 Best Builder (Commercial Building over
$1 million) Award from the Community Builders’ Association for the Durham Plaza Shopping Center in South Plainfield.
10. SUSAN POWERS, REAL ESTATE BROKER
For many of our customers and tenants, Susan is the face of Elite Properties. Her keen understanding of tenant needs and her friendly demeanor puts our customers at ease and fosters a satisfying leasing experience. Susan obtained her real estate license in 1984 and her broker license in 2003. She has over 20 years of experience has a real estate professional and orchestrates Elite’s marketing strategy for both sales and rentals. Susan has been recognized by her peers as a “Top Producer” and a member of the “Million Dollar Sales Club”. Susan is also a licensed title insurance agent. Because of her impeccable taste, Susan pulls double duty as the Elite Properties’ decorator.